“Movie theaters are attractive because for the bad guy it’s like shooting fish in a barrel,” says David Katz. Katz is the Director of Global Security Group, a New York-based security firm that consults with movie theaters. “Under the best circumstances, you still can’t empty the theater quickly. In an emergency, everyone is pushing toward the same door, thousands and thousands of pounds pushing them along in a very confined space,” Katz continued.
The public needs to be aware of potential mass shootings that can take place in movie theaters. Particularly, when the release of Warner Bros. movie Joker begins playing on October 4th, 2019. From previous shootings, warnings, and incel activity, we want you to stay safe.
WHAT’S GOING ON: NEW JOKER MOVIE PREMIER
There’s a nation-wide hindrance of fear in regards to the release of the newest Warner Bros. film Joker. Families of the victims from those who were killed in the 2012 mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado are concerned for the general public’s well-being.
People worry about the film and how it promotes and enables violence in a way that accepts it in today’s society. With mass shootings on the rise, apprehension accumulates as the date of the movie premiere gets closer.
Warner Bros. called gun violence a “critical issue.” The studio stated that the purpose of storytelling was to “provoke difficult conversations around complex issues.” The company made it clear that the film does not endorse real-world violence, “it is not the intention of the film, the filmmakers or the studio to hold this character up as a hero.”
There was instruction for service members to remain aware and attentive to their surroundings while being able to identify two escape routes when entering theaters. If there is a shooting event, service members were instructed to “run, hide, fight.”
The notice of the warning is only a precaution. There is no indication of specific plans or suspects for shooting to take place. There was, however, “disturbing and very specific chatter regarding the targeting of an unknown movie theater during the release,” on the dark web, according to U.S. Army’s criminal investigation division.
Incel is an adapted term from the ‘90s by an online subgroup of self-professed “involuntary celibate” men. As time continued, radicalized members of the incel community formed an ideology of promoting violence. Shootings from members of the incel group have taken place before.
James Holmes, the assailant who opened fire in a crowded movie theater in 2012, is highly looked up to in the incel community. Some say that Holmes found inspiration from the Joker. Members of the incel sub-community also overpraise the character, Joker, according to Army officials.
It is encouraged for the general public to “remain vigilant and to promptly report suspicious activity to law enforcement,” according to an F.B.I. Spokesperson.
The film is set to release on October 4th, and the families of the 2012 shooting asked Warner Bros. to donate to groups that aid victims of gun violence.
HOW YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF
You should be able to enjoy a good movie at-ease. Below are some tips to follow to remain cautious:
- Choose your seat wisely. Sit towards the end of the aisle for the ability to quickly move if you need to react and head to safety.
- Make sure to identify at least two exits. Be aware of your surroundings
- Consider participating in a training seminar. It is proven that Active Threat Training can save lives. You will learn what to do, how to prepare, and the most effective response tactics for your maximum safety.
- If you see something, say something. If you observe questionable or suspicious behavior, report it to the police. You can help stop an incident before it happens.
- Run. If you can get out, get out. Don’t try to make excuses for any firing or explosive sounds.
- If you need to hide, cover yourself. If an escape route is not an option, you need to hide. Covering provides a hiding place with ballistic protection, like steel, block walls, concrete, etc.
- Fight. This option should be a last resort, but when confronted by an assailant, you must fight. When an attacker enters the room, the last place they will look is low left. Kneel and prepare for an attack. Throw items, ambush, tackle — things like fire extinguishers and pens great weapons.
- If you escape, call 911. When you call 911, tell them your name and location, what is going on, how many assailants, description of assailants, what weapons are being used, and possible casualties.
- O.O.D.A. When an attacker enters the room, he or she must complete a series of actions before attacking.
- Observe: the attacker must become familiar with the environment.
- Orient: the attacker will identify potential targets inside the environment.
- Decide: the attacker will select which target to engage first.
- Act: the attacker will raise the weapon and start the process.
At Active Threat Solutions by Defense in Depth, our team of experts provides Active Threat Training. We know what to do, and we believe that you should too. Our goals are to education, power, and assure you to maintain a safe environment.
WE WANT YOU TO STAY SAFE | ACTIVE THREAT SOLUTIONS BY DEFENSE IN-DEPTH
Our hearts go out to anyone who has been involved in a shooting. We wish to teach you how to defend yourself and protect the people you care about.
ATS' training can be utilized at work, home, or out in public. From situational awareness and personal training to self-defense, our classes help you to better identify a dangerous situation and tactics for reacting appropriately.
We will answer your questions and ensure the provision of awareness for when an active threat situation occurs; this is why we train. We train because we want you and your team to be prepared today to make it home tomorrow.
Contact us today to take the first step for a safer environment: 844-244-2255.